Brendon's FotoPage

By: Brendon Bruce

[Recommend this Fotopage] | [Share this Fotopage]
View complete fotopage

Wednesday, 11-Jul-2012 18:31 Email | Share | Bookmark
The Ongoing Debate: Manual vs. Automatic Transmission

Since the 1950s, automatic transmissions have been extremely popular in the United States. This should come as no surprise since they account for approximately 84% of cars sold in North America; however, there is still that remaining 16% of Chevrolet Rochester NY
buyers who prefer a manual transmission, not to mention, the popularity of automatic transmissions does not cross over into other countries. As with most anything, this of course comes with the �which is better?� debate � aside from personal preference, is there really an answer?

The short answer is yes, there is � but it�s different for everyone depending on your wants and needs. The best way to determine the right transmission for your Subaru Rochester NY
is to break down the basics into a few simple but important categories:

1. Power. If you want the most power from your engine, choosing a manual versus an automatic transmission willlikely be your best bet. While some modern automatic transmissions, such as Continuously Variable Transmissions (CVT) and conventional 5 or 6 speed automatics, allow for some excellent acceleration, there is generally a substantial difference in 0-60 times between these types of automatics and a manual transmission. The acceleration offered from a vehicle when equipped with a manual transmission is usually superior for a number of reasons; most predominantly due to gear ratios and the availability for more precise shifting. However, if you want a car for power, but someone who uses it for everyday driving also uses it, consider a semi automatic transmission.

2. Fuel Economy. If this is an important concern, going with a manual transmission is probably your best bet, although it is far from your only choice. Tests have found that a stick shift can improve gas mileage by a notable 2 to 5 miles per gallon, compared with an automatic transmission, and can decrease a car's price by$800 to $1,200.

3. Maintenance and Repair Costs. Even though the automotive world has come extremely far with refining automatic transmissions, most automatic transmissions still need to Certified Service Rochester NY
far more often than manual transmissions. Manual transmissions are also usually slightly cheaper to fix when something mechanical goes haywire. This is not always the case, but on average, a manual transmission will cost you less to repair than an automatic in the same type of vehicle. However, the clutch disc in manual transmissions does need to be replaced on occasion. There are many factors that determine how long a clutch will last such as driving style, the material the clutch disc is made of, and the amount of city versus highway driving.

Although this list provides some good guidelines to follow, other factors should be taken into consideration as well when choosing a manual versus an automatic transmission. For instance, some people can�t drive a manual transmission for a number of reasons, ranging from physical handicaps to unwillingness to learn. Also, you must take into consideration if you are a multitasker or not. Manuals need you to concentrate on keeping your car on track and shifting the gears on time, so it is important for you to be able to do several things at once for an extended period of time. In the end, both transmissions can be an excellent choice depending on each individual�s needs, priorities, and capabilities.Gmc Rochester Ny\n


View complete fotopage


© Pidgin Technologies Ltd. 2016

ns4008464.ip-198-27-69.net